Thursday 16 October 2014

Contest Prep Weeks 28 and 29

What's been happening

Something I didn't let you guys know is that I was going to do a local warm up show before I headed overseas for my pro debut. I competed over the past weekend at the ANB Nationals in Sydney. My main reason to do this show is because being a natural pro all my shows are now overseas (as Australia currently holds no professional shows). So essentially I wanted to do a show where all my friends and family could attend.

 Diet Break

Leading into Nationals we decided not to peak and we just made one change which was the implementation of a diet break. My calories increased by 500 kcals. The result was a fuller, leaner physique which I was very happy with. I didn't change my training or cardio at all and even trained legs the day before my show (a big no no in the bodybuilding world). In my opinion I ended up looking my all time best on stage. I'm not discounting the importance of peaking well but it just goes to show that zero ridiculous methods such as water loading, sodium depletion, glycogen depletion etc are required to present yourself at your best on stage #justsaying

The Show
 
I feel everything went well in the lead up to the show and on show day, perfectly in fact. My training, my cardio, my macronutrient intake, my food sources, my fluid and sodium intake etc were all on point and I looked great. I had a lot of help on the day and as a result there wasn't too much stress for me, my tan looked great and I was able to pump up really well. I feel that for the most part my posing was very good with a few minor errors that I intend to correct for upcoming shows. After the first round of mandatories I was moved to the middle of the line up next to Luke Belcher (the eventual over 90 kg division winner) and we repeated the mandatory and symmetry rounds. I felt during the round and afterwards looking at photographs that basically it was neck and neck with myself and Luke. I was a little more conditioned and I have a more aesthetic physique with a tight waist and good V taper. Whereas Luke was in condition but less so and has a thick muscular physique (big chest and thick back) but also is a little blockier eg thicker waist. So it could have gone either way depending on whether you prefer thick, muscular but blocky or the aesthetic and conditioned X frame. Anyway myself and Luke stayed in the middle of the line up throughout the comparison so to my surprise when the placings were awarded I ended up placing third. I'm not going to have a whinge about my placing because it is what it is. Bodybuilding is a subjective sport and comes down to the opinions of a panel of 5 or 6 people. Other than presenting yourself to the best of your ability on the day you have no control at all over your placing. Regardless of the placing I am happy because I gave my best, looked my best, don't believe I could have done anything better at this time and as I mentioned earlier it was very special to have my friends and family with me at the show. So I would not change a thing.

Plans

Onwards from the warm up show we have ceased the diet break and gone into a phase of digging in preparation for my pro shows. We have reduced my caloric intake by ~ 1000 kcals. I am certainly feeling it in terms of hunger, energy, motivation, sleep disruption etc but it simply has to be done to get to the destination. I have opted for more volumous foods at the moment in an attempt to keep my hunger levels at bay. For the most part I am managing.

The next phase is going to include my trip to the USA. I will spend numerous weeks training at Golds Venice in LA in the lead up to my two professional shows. I've trained at Golds for extended periods numerous times before and it is my favourite gym in the world to train at. So I'm definitely looking forward to that and also to seeing some of my buddies in the USA.

One change to my show schedule I am making is I am dropping the PNBA Natural Olympia from my show schedule. The reason being is that this show is for me perhaps the biggest "hassle" of all the shows I have planned. This is because I have to drive there, it is mandatory to stay in the host hotel so I won't have cooking facilities making peaking properly difficult, the weekend schedule is excessive in terms of mandatory attendances to certain things, competing is a stressful experience and I feel I just don't need that. Especially not one week out from WNBF Worlds which is my main and final show of the season. So I'm going to do my first show, take some time to train and chill for the week and then head out to Boston for the Worlds. I am happy with my decision and feel it is the right one.

Photos

I have included some photos from show day below:





Remember you can contact me at Muscle Academy for coaching (contest preparation, off season, general weight loss, nutrition, training):

Email - evansmuscleacademy@gmail.com
Website - www.muscleacademy.com.au
Facebook - www.facebook.com/MuscleAcademy
Instagram and Twitter - @evansoooon

Thanks for all the positive feedback and messages. Looking forward to bringing you more updates from the USA soon.

- Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment