Thursday 4 September 2014

Contest Prep Weeks 22 and 23

Blogman Returns

This entry will cover both week 22 and 23 of my contest prep. At the point of writing this I am just over 10 weeks out from my major show which is the WNBF World Championships.

How it's Going

Contest prep is going well. I am sitting at a good place for 10 weeks out right now. I'm feeling a little hungry. Berto had me reduce my fat intake to 30 - 35 grams per day which basically means no more pizzas or take away food at all as I simply can't fit it and I think it's about the right time to begin to avoid those foods anyway just for the sake of consistency and accuracy more than anything. Rest assured I will continue to consume a dessert each day to some degree (more carb dense options and diet friendly options too). That will continue at least for now. At some point hunger is likely to take over and I will want to simply use those extra carbs to consume more volume in my food. In fact that is beginning to happen already to some degree as my hunger levels are rising. Luckily I'm refeeding every 4th day which is making things slightly easier.

Training

Last week I was kind of doing my own training split. I had some questions about the new DUP plan that I wanted to ask my coach before I jumped blindly into it and having sorted that out and been satisfied with the explanations I began the program this week. The program has me hitting 3 major lifts each day (squat, deadlift, bench, OHP, row) at reduced intensities. The idea is increased frequency, reduced intensity/volume per day which I feel is exactly what my body needs now getting down to these lower calories and levels of body fat. Most of my volume is focussed on squats and bench because those are the lifts which I have struggled the most to maintain during prep. Volume on the other lifts have taken a small hit but I should have no trouble maintain mass and strength on those stronger body parts especially considering all the accessory work I do. I am handling my own accessory lifts of which I do plenty and have decided to complete most of them in the 8 - 12 rep range (well mostly around 8s lol). So far I'm very much enjoying the new program and am benefiting from the training style so far. We shall see what results this will bring both during contest prep and onward into the offseason. I believe we plan to run this for the next 6 - 8 months.

An Injury

Injuries always happen at the worst of times. In this case my lower back flared up (whilst picking a sock up from the floor of all things). To be fair previous to the injury I had just finished a fairly long block of higher intensity which involved a lot of heavy squats and deadlifts. So that is likely what predisposed me to this. After a few weeks of discomfort I saw my physio for some treatment which improved the problem to about 90%. Unfortunately on Monday of this week the other side of my lower back flared up with exactly the same symptoms during a training session. I had to take anti-inflammatories for two days but strangely I was able to continue training with minimal discomfort. Today I had another treatment which seems to have more or less restored normal movement and relieved my pain - I was able to train completely pain free this afternoon which is promising. I will most likely return for another treatment next week just to make sure everything is ok (touch wood). Until then I will be performing some prescribed stretches for some tight muscles. If the worst case occurs and things do go sour I know that always have BFR training in my arsenal. For now though the training that I'm doing at reduced intensities is actually a God send because my form is close to perfect and there is less risk of the injury recurring.

F.A.Q

I thought I might include a few questions that I hear frequently both in the gym and on social media. I figure I can just send people here instead of constantly answering the same things. Here goes:

Question: What are your macros?
Answer: Currently 260 P, 350 C, 35 F and refeed at 240 P, 450 C, 35 F every 4th day

Question: How many weeks until your show(s)?
Answer: I am just over 10 weeks out from my final show and I am also 8 and 9 weeks out from two other major pro shows I intend to do.

Question: How much do you weigh right now?
Answer: This morning I weighed 92.3 kg (203 lbs)

Question: How tall are you?
Answer: I am 186 cm (6 ft 1)

Question: What are the macros of X specific food you are eating?
Answer: Look it up!

Question: Where did you get X specific food?
Answer: If it isn't sold in Australia one of my American friends may have sent it to me in a care package

Progress Photos Week 22

As you can see here glutes and hamstrings are starting to come in, as well as the quads. The lower body is always the last place for me to lose as it is for many people.


Progress Photos Week 23

A little bit of progress since last week. Side glutes are coming in more and more each week. Slow and steady wins the race.


WNBF NSW Titles
On Sunday I judged (alongside Adam Cooke the 2013 Overall Champ) and guest posed at the WNBF NSW Titles. Deanne Murphy did a good job of running the show. A few up and coming competitors were on stage including Johnny Vong and Jay Blakely who were both very impressive. The overall was taken out by Paul (unsure of his last name) who also placed first in the novice and bantamweight divisions. I want to shout out to my client Kevin Vo for competing in his very first show as I know he found the contest prep grueling to say the least but he pushed through it anyway and that is a great achievement for him.

The guest posing went well. I think I looked a little flat because I felt a little stressed, hadn't slept well and it was a low day. Considering that I still got a reasonable pump. Tracy Schembri from Bare Mystique had me covered for tan (see photos) and I think she did a great job. In terms of the day overall it was great to catch up with Adam and the 4 coaches from NPS Ryan, Joey, Aaron and Chris, as well as a couple of clients and friends. Thankyou to everyone who came out to support myself and all the competitors.

Here are a few photos from back stage and on stage.



A little on judging shows

*Gets on soap box*

I have to say something that I would like to see improved (not only at WNBF shows) but competitions in general is the quality of judging. We need judges who lift, who have competed before, who are experienced, who know the criteria and exactly what they are looking for. Too many times have I been sitting in the audience at shows and been shocked at the placings, as in my pet cat could have placed the competitors with more accuracy than some of the judging I have witnessed at times. If you are judging a state or national level show I would suggest watching some of the IFBB pro shows. They are usually more difficult to pick the top 5 (especially at the Arnold or Olympia). If you can get at least close to picking the top 5 accurately when watching one of those shows and you can give me the specific reasons why you placed those competitors the way you did then you will easily be able to judge a state or even a national level natural show with competency. Do your homework, because competitors put in a shitload of work to get on stage and they deserve to be judged accurately.

*Gets off soap box*.

Until next time

- Evan

No comments:

Post a Comment